If you are afraid of the dentist, you are not alone. Millions of people experience severe anxiety at the thought of sitting in a dental chair. Calgary dentists Dr. Sahra Kanji offer sedation dentistry to help ease your dental anxiety so that you can receive the important dental treatments you need.
What Causes Dental Anxiety?
There are a variety of reasons people develop dental anxiety, including:
- Traumatic past experience in the dentist’s chair
- Strong dislike of the tools and equipment used in dentistry
- Sensitive gag reflex
- Fear of a negative diagnosis
- Aversion to touching of the teeth and gums
- Resistance to topical or injectable anesthesia
- Fear of needles
Unfortunately, dental anxiety that prevents you from visiting the dentist could have very real negative effects on your teeth and gums. By avoiding important dental checkups and cleanings, you increase your risk of developing tooth decay and gum disease, which could eventually lead to tooth loss.
Steps of Sedation Dentistry
Dr. Sahra Kanji use oral sedation to help alleviate dental anxiety. Oral sedation is becoming more popular these days because of its safety, its relaxing effects, and its ease of use. Sedation dentistry is particularly helpful when you are undergoing a major procedure that takes a long time to perform or may cause considerable discomfort.
Here’s what you can expect as a sedation dentistry patient:
- Dr Kanji prescribes a safe oral medication that you will take the night before and then a short while prior to your appointment. Please ensure you have not had anything to eat or drink for at least 6 hours prior.
- A friend or family member escorts you to your treatment appointment, at which time you are evaluated to ensure the proper sedation level has been reached. If not, more of the oral medication will be given to you prior to commencing treatment.
- After a review of your treatment steps and what you can expect during your visit, Dr. Kanji will proceed with your dental services.
- As you undergo your treatment, you are relaxed and aware.
- Upon completion of your treatment, Dr. Kanji will review the side effects that may occur with your escort and send you home to rest. Downtime is just a few hours and you can return to regular activities according to the doctor’s instructions. Once the medication has worn off, you will have a healthier smile and little if any memory of your visit.